Nanotechnology is the science, engineering, and technology conducted at the nanoscale, which is about 1 to 100 nanometers.
Essentially, it’s manipulating and controlling materials at the atomic and molecular level.
To give you perspective, here’s how to visualize a nanometer:
- The ratio of the Earth to a child’s marble is roughly the ratio of a meter to a nanometer.
- It is a million times smaller than the length of an ant.
- A sheet of paper is about 100,000 nanometers thick.
- A red blood cell is about 7,000-8,000 nanometers in diameter.
- A strand of DNA is 2.5 nanometers in diameter.
A nanorobot, then, is a machine that can build and manipulate things precisely at an atomic level.